Thursday, September 10, 2009

Titus

We got a report this morning that Titus is near death. He had been resting so comfortably with little Ihumure, but resting a lot. We all thought he was resting for Ihumure, but it now appears that he is giving up. He had recently abdicated control of his group to his son, which was shocking to the researchers - he had always been such a strong leader, since the time of Dian Fossey. This morning when trackers found the group Titus had not left his night nest, and was not responsive.

There is nothing we can do. We prepare for the necropsy. Titus was a gentle giant, loved by all. He made history with Dian Fossey. His loss will be deeply felt by gorillas and humans. The future of his group is in question, and Ihumure's future is in jeopardy. Titus was his only ally.

We buried an infant yesterday. One that I met on my first health check with Group 13. He was found dead 9 days ago and his mother only yesterday gave him up.

I am so sad.

5 comments:

  1. :( I am sad and sad for you.

    Can you remind me how old Titis is? Is there an average life expectancy for a mountain gorilla? It helps me follow in a relative sense. Also, are the trackers out following groups all day every day? You may have mentioned these things in your earlier posts, but these details have more context as you write more. Don't be sad Jan :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, I'd like to know how old Titus is too. Maybe a little of his history since I'm not that up on DF's work. You're doing a great job with this! Although I haven't written you, I am following the blog every day! I don't have internet in the house yet, so I'm being a little bad about emailing. I'll get it together though.

    Sorry about Titus and particularly about the 3 year old he's caring for!
    xxx, Cyndie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just looked up Titus and read a little more about him. Thank you for sharing these tender stories with us. Take care, Jan, and know that you and your colleagues are watching over them the best you can...Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan - just able to log on and read...am feeling the heaviness all the way over here in La Crosse...I am so, so sorry...

    Deborah - Rock Island

    ReplyDelete