Wednesday, September 9, 2009

RAIN

Well, the rainy season has started, but when it rains here it is not like Indiana, so far anyway. Today the sky turned black, there was a little rumbling, and then it opened up and POURED. For about 30 minutes. Then the sun came out, the birds sang, and the temperature dropped 5 degrees (to 70 - it is generally about 75 during the day and 60 at night so far). I can't wait to see what happens with the garden now that the rains have come.

Ihumure update:
I went back up to have a look at him on Monday, and believe it or not, I made it to the ravine without ANY rest stops!!! I paced myself pretty well, but was absolutely amazed at how much better I did this trip than on Saturday. Part of it was that I knew what I was in for and I went very slowly, but part of it is that my body is actually adjusting. My kidneys are producing erythropoietin so that I can make more red blood cells so that my muscles and brain can get more oxygen at this altitude. I marveled at physiology as I trudged up the trail.

When we got to the ravine, Ihumure was again sleeping with the Silverback Titus, but when he woke up his eyes were more clear, and his movements more controlled. The trackers told me he had eaten that morning with much more strength than previously. I was so pleased. He's not out of the woods by any means, but moving in the right direction! On the other hand, Titus seems pretty tired. Resting a lot. Hopefully he is just resting up from the last 2 weeks of interactions with lone silverbacks.


Here are some photos of that last trek - such a beautiful spot.

This is a lovely little homestead on the way to the park.



And there is actually a gorilla in that ravine...

















Titus and Ihumure

3 comments:

  1. Whew! Thank goodness for good old erythropoietin! Why, me and the kids were just talking about erythropoietin the other day...and marveling at its wonderment...glad to hear that Ihumure is showing improvement and I knew the hiking would get better for you sooner than later...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just wondering where you can get erythropoietin.......GNC? Just kidding, but sounds like I could use some more red blood cells! What's that little hut? Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, erythropoitein, or EPO - it is actually used illegally by some athletes (especially bicycle racers I guess)... Couldn't find any EPO here in Ruhengeri, so I had to wait until my kidneys made it!

    ReplyDelete