Friday, January 1, 2010

Umwaka Musha

Happy New Year!

This morning I got up before dawn and listened to Rwanda wake up. The dawn chorus here is amazing - first roosters and ibis, about 4:30, then a million other birds at about 5:00, along with a few people putzing around. By 5:30 it is beginning to get light and by 6am, like every morning, morning has broken. The first day of 2010, African style!

I had to get up early to go to the forest to assess the silverback Kuryama, whose group had been "missing" for 2 days, and when they turned up yesterday Kuryama had acquired a new female from Pablo group along with a new laceration on his hand. It was a great morning. He'll be painful for a while, but it will heal. I'll write this one up for the gorilladoctorsblog so stay tuned.

Umwaka Musha everyone!

7 comments:

  1. I like how only 2 kinds of "chorus singers" get up at 4:30am(roosters and ibis), and then "a million other birds" are up at 5am...is that an actual count ("a million"), or a scientific estimate? Umwaka Musha to you too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year in Rwanda Jan!! Just got Cindy signed up as a "follower" on her new computer....Skype next!

    loved the chat!!
    XO
    Cindy and Tucker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candi, if Jan said a million I'm sure it's accurate. Geeesh!

    Feliz año, Jan xxxxx, Cyndie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cyndie,you're absolutely right...I was out of line...what was I thinking? Thanks for setting me straight. I apologize Jan...a million times. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...the above comment was from meeee...not Joe...love technology glitches...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, it was a million, give or take.... I didn't have time to do a complete survey....

    Love you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete