Saturday, December 19, 2009

Christmas in Rwanda



This is the first time I've spent Christmas away from my family. And it is a little surreal to me that Christmas is less than a week away. The weather doesn't change much day to day, or month to month for that matter, and there are no Christmas tree lots, few lights and decorations, and no seasonal songs playing in Musanze town. BUT, I have 2 poinsettia trees - one in my front yard and one outside my bedroom window, and they both have beautiful red leaves, just in time for Christmas! The sunbirds and firefinches perch there regularly and look like ornaments. I put up decorations in my livingroom. And I'm going to have a little MGVP Christmas party next week, and introduce the "white elephant" Christmas present game to the staff! I'm having Christmas dinner at a friend's house - they have an 18 month old daughter so I'll get to watch her open a gift or two! And I'll let Ama open a new bone on Christmas morning. I'm playing Pachelbel's Canon as I write this. So I'm trying to get into the Christmas spirit. But I'll miss you all, and chilly Christmas morning opening the stocking gifts, and looking at the tree at night, and the endless Christmas songs, and Sara and Taylor relaxing after finals. Send me pictures.

Bob said he wanted to see more pictures of my house so here they are!


Here's the poinsettia outside my bedroom window.


I just planted some flower seeds in the backyard.


Here's the door to my office from the courtyard.


Chewy and the poinsettia outside my front door.


My vegetable garden.


Here's the inside of my office.


We have this calendar board for all MGVP scheduled activities.


Here's my nick-nack shelf (yes, I'm collecting even more nick-nacks Bob!)


I have these flowers outside my office. The begonia makes me think of Mom.


Here's my bulletin board with some pictures that are probably familiar to many of you!


These next few are my decorations - pretty festive!









Here's my dresser with photos to remind me of friends and family.


Immaculee, a friend here in town, gave me this plaque for Christmas. I love it!


Fox and Ama relaxing in the living room.


Ama has doubled in size since she came to me 2 weeks ago!

That's it for now! By the way, I darted my first wild gorilla Friday. She had a snare on her wrist. Amazing experience. I'll write about it on the gorilladoctors blog in January!

Merry Christmas everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, Jan. You are in my thoughts and I hope your holidays away from home are peaceful and happy. I sent you a email at your Indy Zoo address... do you still use that address? If not, please send me the email address you can use now. Love you, Tody

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas Jan!
    Your home looks so festive. And what a monster poinsettia. I don't think I ever saw one that large before. What great fun to be a part of xmas someplace so different. Love, Mary Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. This may be a stupid question, but are there types of dogs that live in Rawanda but not in the US? I know that is probably not a very likely possibility, but I was just curious...and do you know what kind of dog Ama is, or have a guess if she is going to be a large dog?

    Anyways, Merry Christmas Aunt Jan and my new cousin Ama!! haha ;)

    ReplyDelete