Friday, December 4, 2009

Amahirwe

She weighs four pounds and is as big as my boot. She's covered in lice, full of worms and about 7 weeks old. Tan, black muzzle, little white soul patch, and a Biafra belly. I've had her for 4 days and I'm already in love. She's sleeping in my lap as I write this.



Amahirwe. It means "chance" or "luck" in Kinyarwanda. I call her Ama for short.

I was in Kinigi visiting the gorilla orphans and she cowering in the bushes outside the compound. At fist I thought she was a cat, then she scurried across the path into a brush pile. It took some coaxing, but we got her to come out and I scooped her into my arms, lice and all. She was trembling, her hair was matted and her skin scabby. She needed me!

Here she is getting her first bath - the lice scattered!














Chewy and Fox don't think much of her, but Magda's and Julie's dogs are interested and playful. I'll need to give Fox, Dan and Chewy extra attention so they don't get too jealous.













She was very quite the first 2 days, but now that she is dewormed, deloused, has some groceries in her belly, a warm bed and a little love, she's a spitfire! There is no Purina Dog Chow here so I have to make her food. She gets these dried little fishes that we feed the other dogs, and rice. I also bought some bones from the butcher and boiled them up and mixed them with rice. Looked so much like a good dish that Mike had a plate the other day - he said it was a little bland! I haven't had a puppy for a long time - she's keeping me on my toes!

Amahirwe. I'm taking a chance with her.

4 comments:

  1. Well little Ama hit the lottery didn't she!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats why we named Chance chance!!! :) great name! she looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitely a cute, cute puppy...do we know how big this little bundle of joy will eventually be? bigger than a bread box? smaller than a silverback? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that picture of you and Ama! What a pair!

    ReplyDelete