Saturday, October 3, 2009

Fatigue...

Woke up with my first bout of lower intestinal disorder last night (I think you know what I mean...) and had to get up at 5am for a forest visit. The female who lost her newborn was reported to be very weak yesterday. After a 45 minute walk to the park wall and then 2 hours, up hill to the group, all the while hoping I didn't have to use the BIF (I made it with only one stop...), we found Pablo group. There are 46 gorillas in that group and I got to meet Cantsbe - the last gorilla from the Dian Fossey days. Impressive silverback, and as always I was in awe in his presence. The old female was somewhat improved, eating and moving with more strength. Magda and I discussed her case with trackers and decided not to intervene today. The trackers will stay with her the rest of the day, and check her first thing tomorrow. I hope she continues to improve. We couldn't recover the body of her baby because she is still carrying it. Very, very sad. But the rest of the group was a wonder to watch - one young male sat near us the whole time we were observing the group. I suspect he wrote in his notes that afternoon: "the mzungu with white hair looked tired and sick. Will need to keep an eye on her..."
I am really, really tired after today's hike, but still stronger than I was 8 weeks ago! Guts are better this evening, in case you were wondering...

There has been a gecko hatch near my office - look who I saw last night:

3 comments:

  1. Please take care, don't get too run down! WOW they have Bif's in Africa.....well duh, I guess the forest in 'bathroom in forest' could be anywhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, you are an inspiration to all women of our generation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I was just about to ask what the heck a "BIF" is...ahhh, you clever Gorilla Doctors sure do love your acronyms...xoxo

    ReplyDelete