Sunday, August 1, 2010

One whole year

Tomorrow is my one year anniversary, living in Africa. Wow time flies. Today I am sitting at my desk in my little house working at the computer - I am hopelessly behind on paperwork. I'm watching mousebirds, sunbirds and bulbuls as they flit in the bushes just outside my window. It is sunday afternoon and about 75 degrees in the dry season - the sun is bright and the ground is dry and dusty. It is cold at night though (well, 50s...) - GREAT climate! Ama and Boots are asleep at my feet, and I can hear the neighborhood kids laughing and hollering, crows and hadada ibis calling in the distance, and a circular saw is running almost constantly as a house goes up two doors down. I'm re-reading George Schaller's "The Year of the Gorilla" in my spare time, and it is so much more meaningful to me now - I recognize the places he names, I can see his descriptions of trekking through the forest and gorilla behavior in my mind's eye. I am still amazed that I work here. That I see mountain gorilla groups weekly if not more often. That I am privaleged to work in 3 countries with a wonderful team of dedicated people. That my family understands this crazy notion of mine that working in Africa for 2 years is okay...

5 comments:

  1. Jan we are so proud of you and miss you terribly!! Who can believe how fast a year goes. As I read you describe animals and birds by name, and see pictures and videos you post, I am reminded of my small civilized animal moment this morning, of seeing one of my black squirrels creep up on my back stairs with a full half English Muffin in his mouth! Who only knows where he got it.... someone's nice Sunday brakfast on the patio I suspect. Look at me writing of animals....see ho you inspire?! I am thinking of getting a birhouse to go with my dogwood :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you were secretly an animal lover!!!

    I miss you guys too - send pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice post Jan...it IS hard to believe that you've been there a whole year. Who knows what this next year will bring but no matter what, I know you'll make the most of every minute...there are so many of us who are with you all the way in spirit..so far the ride has been great!Love you, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are turning into quite the writer!
    I have a possibility of writing a Lily grant for this coming June to visit - would this be a possibility?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If your crazy I'll be VP of your club. Love reading your stories! Miss you, your amazing.

    ReplyDelete