Thursday, August 27, 2009

Leon's children

Leon is our house manager. He is at least 70 years old and has been with MGVP for over 20 years. Everyone loves Leon. He is a wonderful man - quiet, unassuming, hard working. He's tall and thin, which I have learned is classic Tutsi.

Ghosts of the genocide are everywhere.

There are memorial parks in every town filled with bright flowers, benches and plaques.

There is a restaurant on the way to Kigali where people were locked inside and burned alive while watching a soccer game on TV - it is still a burned out shell.

When I was at the bank in Kigali this week there were 3 stories in the paper: "Priest Cleared of Genocide Charges", "Controversy Ends as Remains of 40 Genocide Victims are Laid to Rest", Kiziguro Memroial Site a Legacy of Silent Murders". I was uncomfortable reading the stories while sitting in the bank lobby - I found myself looking around me, wondering what the people in this room lived through. Who they lost. Who they killed. I was horrified at my thoughts.

There is a Genocide Museum in Kigali. Some friends from California visited the museum while I did my business in town. They were there for 3 hours and said it was not enough time, although Christian said he couldn't stay in the children's room.

On the way home we passed a village where dozens of people were sitting in a rough circle, looking serious. Our driver told us that this is a tribunal - a Gacaca court - a sort of community justice system where the accused is invited to admit guilt and apologize in an open forum. It has been 15 years, but there is such a huge backlog in the courts that the accused are still being tried in this way. The car got very quiet for a while.

Here in Ruhengeri, my home for the next 2 years, I find myself looking around at people I now call friends and co-workers. Who is Tutsi? Who is Hutu? What did they do? Where did they go? How do they feel now? But we don't talk about it.

I found out last night that Leon's children were killed in the Genocide. I almost cried when I saw his smiling face at breakfast this morning. His oldest grandson is in college now, and MGVP is helping pay for his education. I can't begin to imagine Leon's pain. All the pain in this beautiful country. And yet the people I work with seem to manage to live in the present. Tutsis and Hutu working side by side to protect the forest and the gorillas.

5 comments:

  1. I cannot even imagine. Thanks for the thought provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are witness to the remnants of what we can't imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback. I've been wanting to write about the genocide but couldn't find the words. Until I heard about Leon's children. Most of the time things here are wonderful, but I just needed to share this piece too - it is ever present.

    BTW - who is Broad Ripple??!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tutsis and Hutu working together at MGVP is another example that shows that what you are doing is truly special and one of a kind life experience. Thanks for sharing "all" and keeping it real. I gave my kids extra hugs this morning. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shivers. Tears. Humbled. Wonder at the ability to move forward and come together for the good of MGVP, which is coming together for the good of us all. Thanks, Jan, for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete