Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Live life deliberately...

Today Bob and I visited the original site of Karisoke Research Station - where Dian Fossey lived her life in Rwanda, a life lived deliberately and with purpose. Where she is buried, next to Digit, Titus and other of the gorillas she fought so hard to protect. We walked for about 2 hours up through the beautifully cultivated fields of pyrethrin and vegetables. Our guide "D", who was wonderful at pointing out the plants and birds.





I found a hatchling chameleon - I rescued him from the ground and put him back in the tree. "D" said finding a chameleon was good luck.




We saw Hygenia trees that were huge, and must have known Dian Fossey. We saw lobelias that were 15 feet tall. We saw tree hyrax (a first for both of us!), and lovely sunbirds flitting through the trees. The hike up was hard but well worth it.




When we got to the site of the original research station I recognized the spot where the cabin stood when I stayed there 25 years ago. Nothing is left but foundations now, and the graves of Dian Fossey, Digit, and even Titus, the silverback I met when I first arrived, but died shortly after. I spent some quiet time at his grave.





One surprising find was the volleyball area! Candi, stop laughing - there really was a volleyball court on the slopes of the volcano, this picture is proof!


We spent about an hour wandering around, touching trees, sitting at the graves, then turned to walk back down through the beautiful, pristine forest. It was magical. A place I would like to bring all my friends.

Last night I learned that my dear, dear friend Maureen Kouwe (we all called her Tody) passed away. She was on a skiing trip with her brother and sister-in-law, doing what she loved, and died in the arms of her family. An aneurism. She was 53 (soon to be 54 - our birthdays are 13 days apart). She was planning a trip to visit Rwanda, and I was going to bring her to this magical place. The whole time Bob and I were there today I thought of Tody. We've been friends for 32 years. Tody LIVED her life. Deliberately. With great love for her family and friends, and with great passion and faith. Today while I was in that enchanted place she was with me. I could hear her laughter, hear her blowing out her breath through pursed lips at the beauty of the place. I could see her smiling face as I reminisced about my meeting Dian Fossey 25 years ago. Tody WAS there with me. And will always be with all of us who loved her. May we all live as deliberately as she did. Here's to you Tody.

8 comments:

  1. ...and here's to you Jan...thanks for such wonderful words and having such a wonderful "Tody day". xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story about the trip to Dian's site. We never knew you'd been there before! Must be fascinating to relive that and be in that presence. ummm, how did you get Bob to "take a hike" so to speak?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan,
    What a wonderful day, thank you for for showing her such beauty...I know how eager she was to come visit you and see the animals and the beauty of Africa. Tody was a precious gift to me and I will always keep her close to my heart--Her spirit truely will be with us forever.
    Jeannie Kouwe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan, I know I have been remiss in not "visiting " you here more often. I am very sorry for the loss of your friend. It is sweet and lovely to see the photo of you and Bob, looking just the way you do on Rock Island.
    With love,
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your day, every day. It's great for us to see you guys together, enjoying your day!
    Nava and Howie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for honoring Titus in a quiet moment. I can't be there to do that. Titus was a great inspiration and healing to me. I also appreciate seeing the photos of Segasira. My how he has grown! Thank you for taking care of these most precious friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW - Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I met Maureen sometime between 1976 and 1982 when she came to Kansas to visit my cousin David Morgan, whom she had dated for a while when he lived in Redbank, New Jersey. I only met her briefly but she made a lasting impression on me, because she was so sweet, and because after that brief visit she kept in touch with our family by cards and letters even after my cousin was killed in 1982 by a drunk driver. I've thought of her only a few times in the past 30 years, but have thought of her several times in just the past few weeks, so I decided to look for her online just today. This is proof to me of an everlasting spirit - I hope she continues to visit my thoughts and that she and David are catching up on old times...

    ReplyDelete